Mr. Manoj Kumar Singh
Founding Partner, S&A
Commercial Litigation and Arbitration (Domestic and International)
Qualifications: Faculty of Law (Campus Law Centre) (LLB); University of Delhi
Key practice areas:
The key practice areas comprise Commercial Litigation and Arbitration (domestic and international), matters relating to Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code 2016, banking and finance, corporate advisory, etc. He has experience of varied sectors including without limitation to real estate and infrastructure, energy, ports, airports, mining, shipping, construction, manufacturing, import/export, etc.
Mr. Manoj K. Singh, the Founding Partner of the law firm Singh & Associates, specializes in Litigation and ADR practice. Mr. Singh has two decades of rich experience in helping out clients in legal issues. He appears and argues matters before the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India, all High Courts in India and various Tribunals. Mr. Singh regularly represents clients in cross-border financial and investment disputes. His signature strength is representing clients in commercial disputes and litigation.
He recently authored his first book ‘Infrastructure Arbitration – A Perspective’ (published by Lexis Nexis) which is a manifestation of his deep-rooted knowledge and orientation towards Commercial Disputes, Litigation, and ADR practice. Apart from this, he has authored various articles on the commercial litigation and arbitration with a special focus on infrastructure, which has been published at various platforms including but not limited to Economic Times, CNBCTv18.com, Business Today, Business World, Live Law, Bar & Bench, Mondaq, Financial Express etc. He has authored various chapters, to name a few:
- Chapter on “Civil Litigation – Jurisdictional Comparisons” for The European Lawyer “Civil Litigation” Legal Reference Book published by Thomson Reuters;
- Chapter on “Tax Litigation – India Jurisdiction” for the European Lawyer Tax Litigation” Legal Reference Book published by Thomson Reuters; and
- Chapter on “Transfer pricing and Tax Avoidance – India Jurisdiction” for the European Lawyer “Transfer Pricing” Legal Reference Book published by Thomson Reuters.
Mr. Singh is a name to reckon with in domestic and international arbitrations including ad-hoc and institutional arbitrations. He has successfully undertaken and represented clients in many international arbitrations including under the rules of the London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA), International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), and the Singapore International Arbitration Center (SIAC).
An astute litigator, Mr. Manoj K. Singh is an excellent solutions-oriented lawyer. His deferential manner and forceful arguments have helped him successfully represent high-profile individuals, large corporations and public institutions in contentious proceedings. He also advises clients on foreign investment in India, offshore commercial borrowings, cross border taxation, project financing, anti-dumping, energy and natural resources, etc. He is known for a strategy making process for any commercial dispute.
Under his able guidance and leadership acumen, the Litigation Practice of Singh & Associates, represents in a mix of strategic litigations (domestic and international) in civil, criminal, commercial and arbitration matters. The Firm’s Practice Group comprises a large team that focuses on litigation and alternative dispute resolution and handles a significant number of filings in the Supreme Court of India and various High Courts across the country.
• Chairman of Executive Committee of Bar Council of Delhi
• Assistant General Secretary of Society of Indian Law Firms
• Vice-Chair of the CII Legal Services Task Force
• Chairman of the Legal and ADR Committee of Indo-American Chamber of Commerce
• Board Member of North India Regional Council of Indo American Chamber of
• Alliance of Business Lawyers
• Associated Chambers of Commerce & Industry of India
• Bar Council of India
• Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
• Confederation of Indian Industries
• Delhi High Court Bar Association
• Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce & Industry
• Indo-American Chamber of Commerce & Industry
• Indo-China Chamber of Commerce
• Indo-French Chamber of Commerce
• Indo-German Chamber of Commerce
• Indo-Italian Chamber of Commerce & Industry
• Indo-Japan Chamber of Commerce
• Institute of Company Secretaries of India
• Inter Pacific Bar Association (IPBA)
• International Bar Association
• International Trademark Association
• New York State Bar Association
• Society of Indian Law Firms
• Supreme Court Bar Association
• The Council of EU Chambers of Commerce in India
• The United States Commercial Service
Awards & Accolades:
• Recognized as ‘Leading Individuals’ in Dispute Resolution: Arbitration and Dispute Resolution: Litigation in The Legal 500 ranking 2021
• ‘Distinguished Leading Lawyer’ by Legal Era- Legal Media Group in its coffee table book 2019-20
• Recognized as India’s Top Dispute Lawyers 2020 by Asian Legal Business
• Special Recognition for Service to the Legal Profession (Achiever’s Awards, 2019) by Legal League Consulting
• Dispute Resolution Lawyer of the Year, Indian Legal Awards 2019, Legal Era
• Recognised Practitioner – Dispute Resolution, Chambers and Partners 2019
• Recognized as Top 5 Dispute Resolution Lawyer of the Year, India Law Awards 2019 by Asian Legal Business, Thomson Reuters
• ‘Excellence in Professional Services’ Award by Indo-American Chamber of Commerce (IACC), 2017
• Featured as One of the 100 Legal Luminaries of India (a coffee table book published by LexisNexis), for the year 2016
• Recommended for Disputes Resolution Practice by The Legal 500, describing him as ‘excellent and solution-oriented lawyer’
• Listed in the Indian Lawyers 250’s ‘40 under 45’ Young Lawyers Award for dispute resolution in 2013
• National Law Day Award – 2013, by Indian National Bar Association (INBA) for his unique contribution to the field of Corporate Law and bringing India’s Corporate Law to International Standards
Certificates of Appreciation from World Bank for contribution in its publications, namely:
- Doing Business 2019: Training for Reform
- Doing Business 2018: Reforming to Create Jobs
- Doing Business 2017: Equal Opportunity for All
- Doing Business 2015: Going Beyond Efficiency
- Understanding Regulations for Small and Medium-Size Enterprises in 2014
- Smarter Regulations for Small and Medium-Size Enterprises in 2013
- Doing Business in a More Transparent World in 2012
- Doing Business in a More Transparent World in 2011
- Making a Difference in Entrepreneurs in 2010
- Doing Business 2009: Reforming Through Difficult Times
Publications / Papers:
- Chaired session on “Arbitration in India-US Cross Border Disputes” during Conference India-United States Cross Border Investment 2.0: Counselling in Reform Environments, organized by SILF and American Bar Association (India Committee under International Section), February 18-19, 2016 at the Hyatt Regency, New Delhi.
- Delivered Lecture on “Prosecution Management” for the members / officers of Serious Fraud Investigation Office (SFIO), a multi-disciplinary organization under Ministry of Corporate Affairs, on 13 February 2016.
- Paper & Presentation on “Conflicts Rules Determining The Applicable Law And Jurisdiction In Construction Contracts” for International Constructions Projects Session during International Bar Association Annual Conference [30th September to 06th October 2012], Dublin, Ireland.
- Paper & Presentation on “Current Issues: Competing Infrastructure; Planning; Effective Contract Administration; Dispute Resolution Mechanism; Aggressive Bidding; And Sectors In Which PPP Model Are Coming Up” for International Constructions Projects Session during International Bar Association Annual Conference [03rd to 08th October 2010], Vancouver, Canada.